Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ronald McDonald House Fundraiser


The Ronald McDonald House has held a special place in my heart ever since I joined Alpha Delta Pi Sorority. One of the positive aspects of being a sister to any sorority is the impact you enforce when you give back to your national philanthropy. In 1979, Alpha Delta Pi adopted the Ronald McDonald House as its national philanthropy. Since then, the sorority has contributed over $2 million nationally. For thirty-five years, the Ronald McDonald House has been improving the lives of families who has been faced with adversity. Known as "the house that love built", the Ronald McDonald House works to help the health and well being of children. It provides comfort, care, and acts as a home away from home for the families of seriously ill and injured children receiving medical treatment at nearby hospitals. More than 10 million families have utilized the Ronald McDonald houses, saving over $120 million in housing and meal expenses. There are a total of 240 houses in 25 countries.

My sorority sister, Martha Price, is the current Philanthropy Chairperson who invited me to emcee the sorority's second annual talent show supporting the Ronald McDonald House. Now here's an interesting fact about Martha...she is the reigning MISS BRISTOL! She will be competing in the Miss Connecticut Pageant in June. Actually, it is the SAME EXACT DAY as the Miss New York Pageant! She has chosen the Ronald McDonald House as her platform mainly for her active involvement with the organization. The talent show hosted a variety of performers including singers, musicians, and break dancing. I was ebullient to have this opportunity to give back to my sorority and the Ronald McDonald House. I remember when I was Philanthropy Chairperson how rewarding it was to have the opportunity to spearhead the fundraising efforts of my chapter to improve the lives of the children affiliated with the Ronald McDonald House. I am so proud of my sorority for the continued passion and dedication they have for this worthy charity.
Emceeing the Talent Show

Martha, Miss Bristol

The winners of the talent show

First.Finest.Forever
Gamma Pi Chapter of Alpha Delta Pi

Last year as Miss Staten Island, I visited the Ronald McDonald House in Manhattan. I was accompanied by some of my sorority sisters, who enjoyed playing video games, creating arts and craft projects, and dressing up with these inspirational kids. Here are some pictures from that appearance: