Sunday, October 24, 2010

Hauntingly Health Fair

As my year as Miss Richmond County draws to an end, so does my appearances throughout Staten Island. Today I made my last appearance as Miss Richmond County. I was invited to promote my platform as the Staten Island University Hospital North Kids Health Fair at the Irving R. Boody, Jr. Medical Arts Pavilion. Kids from the ages of 2-12 enjoyed a day of helpful tips in order to stay fit and health. Not only did I have the opportunity to talk to the kids about living smoke free lives, but I distributed over one hundred of my T.E.A.C.H. packets. Other activities for the kids were dental screenings, speech and hearing screenings, crafts table provided by the Staten Island Children's Museum and Staten Island University Hospital, fire safety, face painting, and even a magician. This appearance was a rewarding way for me to round out my year. I was able to start and end my reign promoting T.E.A.C.H., my national recognized platform that has been a positive impact to children throughout New York. Every time a child says to me that because of T.E.A.C.H. he/she will never start smoking, it is a constant reminder of why I am involved in the Miss America Organization. Being Miss Richmond County has given me a voice to project all of my issues of concern, to make a difference in my community, and to be a role model to everyone whose lives I have touched.