Saturday, June 5, 2010

LGBT Pride Parade and Festival


Under the canopy of rainbow colored balloons, I joined hundreds of gay and lesbian Staten Islanders and supporters at the sixth annual LGBT Pride Parade and Festival in St. George. This is the second year I have participated in this event, attending last year as Miss Staten Island. I have always been a supporter of the gay community. I have many friends who are gay, so I have seen the struggle they have gone through in trying to be accepted by society. This event is about visibility on Staten Island. Supporters like myself need to continue to promote the respect and acceptance of the gay community. My support and participation in this event was much appreciated by the gay community. No one should have to feel insecure about who they are. This event gives the gay community the confidence to be themselves' to be a part of the diversity of the city.

Professor Kathleen Cumiskey and Robin Garber, this year's Grand Marshalls


Jim Smith, my Executive Director when I was Miss Staten Island and Grand Marshall in 2005



Last year as Miss Staten Island